Music Opportunities for Independent Music Teachers
Seattle Music Teachers Association is the Seattle (SMTA) chapter for Music Teachers National Association (MTNA). As a member of MTNA, you belong to a welcoming group of teachers who are constantly striving to develop and improve the quality of music for themselves and the students they teach. Upon joining the national and state level associations, you are eligible to join SMTA.
By joining SMTA, you become a member of a teacher network available to students looking for a teacher like you: an independent music teacher with your expertise. In addition, you also receive benefits of membership to MNTA, including financial assistance, scholarships, insurance and the MTNA Benevolence Fund. You also have the opportunity to participate in a wide range of programs and resources to help teachers at every stage of their development. From mentoring programs intended for new teachers entering the profession, to seasoned teachers who wish to continue to develop their teaching methods and practices, SMTA provides a vibrant network of colleagues with whom to learn, perform, collaborate and grow your studio. Below is a comprehensive list of benefits by joining today!
As an independent music teacher, I joined SMTA to connect with colleagues and to learn new skills. At every meeting, workshop, social event, concert or conference, SMTA meets those needs – and so much more! I’ve expanded my horizons as a teacher, a musician and as a businesswoman – and I’ve made many life-long friends in the process!
LOCAL-Seattle Music Teachers Association benefits:
- Listing in annual SMTA Yearbook
- Opportunity to create online profile on SMTA’s website and be a part of the “Find a Teacher” search tool available to the public
- Eligible to serve on the SMTA board
- Invitation to monthly member-only SMTA General Meetings
- Receive monthly Staccato Notes published by SMTA
- Invitation to other networking events such as SMTA’s Adult Student Soirees and Common Interest Groups
- Regular emails announcing upcoming events and opportunities relevant to SMTA member teachers
STATE-Washington State Music Teachers Association Active (Standard) Membership benefits:
- Open to all individuals who are professionally engaged in any field of music activity in the State of Washington.
- Conveys the privileges of participation in all Association activities.
- The right to attend meetings and programs
- To vote.
- Hold office.
- Enter students in Association programs.
- Receive the official Association publications.
Click to read more about WMSTA membership benefits. The Washington State Music Teachers Association (WSMTA) is affiliated with Music Teachers National Association (MTNA). In order to be a member of WSMTA, you must join through MTNA.
NATIONAL-Music Teachers National Association benefits:
- Discounts and Resources—discounts on MTNA conferences and competitions, as well as office supplies, travel and much more!
- Educational Opportunities—featuring MTNA’s preeminent yearly national conference, with workshops and seminars on teaching (including group and recreational music-making), ethics, industry developments and more.
- Professional Support Services—recommendations and referrals for studio resources, insurance and legal consultation, enrichment grants for teacher study, merchant services and new technology resources.
- Exclusive Publications – MTNA keeps you up-to-date with current trends in the music industries with our two exclusive publications: American Music Teacher – the official journal of MTNA published six times a year, providing articles, columns and reviews to inform, educate and challenge, and MTNA e-Journal – an online-based journal containing informational articles supplemented with interactive features and extras.
SMTA also offers the opportunity to sell or give away instruments to other members or the community at large. Click to post your free online listing in our Community Classifieds section.
Follow us on Facebook today! Search “Seattle Music Teachers Association” to find our page on Facebook.